A few weeks ago, I bought a Cherry eVolution Marlin wireless desktop (it’s a wireless, notebook-like keyboard and a laser-mouse, which are both connected to the PC using one little USB-receiver). Last weekend, when I turned on the PC, I realized that keyboard and mouse didn’t work anymore. Neither keypresses nor mouse movements got to the PC anymore. Looking at the USB-receiver, I saw the red LED flashing rapidly.
It just looks like keyboard and receiver got out of sync and have to be re-connected or re-synced, e.g. like pressing connect buttons. However, neither the receiver nor mouse or keyboard have any hidden buttons or switches to initiate a re-connect and synchronize them.
I couldn’t find any information on the net relating this issue, so I called the support hotline and found out that a rapidly flashing red LED at the receiver does indeed indicate that devices are out-of-sync. A friendly support assistant told me a way how the devices can be connected again.
It’s easy and worked immediately for me. I wonder why they didn’t add some notes about it to the operating manual.
- Connect the USB charging cable to the PC, but not yet to the mouse
- Turn off the mouse
- Press and hold the left, right and middle (wheel) mouse button
- While holding these 3 buttons, plug the USB charging cable into the mouse
- You can release the buttons now. The mouse wheel should light up orange continuously
- Press the horizontal scrolling buttons to the left
- The mouse wheel should rapidly flash green for a short time and turn back to the usual charging indicator (slow orange/green blinking) afterwards
The red flashing of the USB receiver should now have stopped and keyboard and mouse should work again.
I wonder, how often I’ll have to do this in future. It seems to be a common problem, since the support assistant almost immediately knew what I was talking about when I mentioned the rapidly flashing red LED. However doing this every few weeks wouldn’t be too annoying – it still turns out to be a very good keyboard
If you had similar problems, feel free to drop a comment :)